Summer is the perfect time for salads and this one was my favorite this year. The massaged kale is dressed with the mint lime vinaigrette and the result is both unexpected and delicious. Going into fall, the figs, nuts, and goat cheese give it nice substance without making it heavy. It’s great served with the Grape Gazpacho for a meal when you don’t want to do any cooking.
Massaging the kale with a little oil prior to tossing in dressing, helps break down the cell walls of the leaves resulting in tender and less bitter greens. This is a go-to technique for any salad that includes kale and works great for any variety (green, purple, lacinato, etc.).
- 2 large bunches kale
- 1 Tbsp avocado
- ¼-1/2 cup Mint Lime Vinaigrette (recipe at http://minimalwellness.com/mintvinaigrette/)
- 10 figs
- 2 oz raw cashew nuts
- 4 oz soft goat cheese
- Wash, dry, and chop kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Place kale into a large bowl & drizzle with the avocado oil, massage the oil into the kale for 2 minutes.
- Thinly slice figs and put ¾ of the fig slices into the bowl with the kale.
- Roughly chop the cashews or leave them whole, depending on preference. Place ¾ of the cashews into bowl with kale and figs.
- Crumble the goat cheese and put ¾ of the cheese into the bowl with other ingredients.
- Drizzle the salad in the large bowl with ¼-1/2 cup mint lime dressing. Toss the salad to incorporate the dressing.
- Top the tossed salad with the remaining figs, cashews, and goat cheese.
- If a plated salad is desired, place ¼ of the dressed salad onto a plate and finish with ¼ of the remaining toppings.
*Not all calories are equal.