Some of you may know my partner, Joshua Fields Millburn (JFM). He likes smoothies and frequently drinks this one as an afternoon snack. It’s crazy nutritious, yummy, and really pretty. If you’re a child-at-heart like me, you’ll purposely give yourself a smoothie mustache while drinking it. Or if you hate dishes like JFM, you’ll drink it straight from the blender.
What’s in this concoction, you ask? Well, in JFM’s words “a shitload of kale”, which packs a powerful vitamin, mineral, antioxidant, and detoxification punch. Plus raw beets, providing a host of vitamins and minerals and a natural source of nitrates that lower blood pressure, improve blood flow, and have been shown to increase athletic (and other, ahem…) performance. Other anti-inflammatory and gut–health promoting ingredients include: blueberries, ginger, turmeric, collagen protein powder, and probiotic powder. Of course you could use a different protein powder or omit the probiotic powder if you are so inclined. Depending on the day, we will add avocado for healthy fats and velvety smoothness, or banana for a little extra sweetness, texture, and potassium.
- Base ingredients:
- 1 cup frozen or raw kale
- 1 small raw or frozen beetroot (about 1 cup chopped)
- ¼ cup raw or frozen blueberries
- ½ avocado
- 1" sliced piece of ginger (raw is best, but can sub for ¼ tsp powder)
- 1" sliced piece of turmeric (raw is best, but can sub for ¼ tsp powder)
- 2 scoops collagen protein powder (or other protein powder of choice)
- Optional modifications:
- 1 scoop probiotic powder
- ¼ tsp stevia powder for sweetness (or more if desired)
- ½ cup banana chunks (about ½ medium banana)
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut
- Use fermented coconut water in place of water
- Place all desired ingredients into a high-powered blender and pour in water up to the top of the produce.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes, adding more water if needed to achieve desired consistency.